January 15th, 2020
• Calnen Photography will be at Island View February 6th for Graduation Photos and Retakes. All potential graduates should make an appointment regardless if they’re not purchasing graduation photos so portraits can be placed in the Graduating Class Composite and Yearbook.
• For any grade 10 and 11 students interested in going on the 2021 Dominican Republic Trip - Deposits are due this Thursday January 16th! Deposits are $300.00 (non-refundable) and can be paid at the office by personal cheque, cash or using a debit or credit card (please note there is a $8 service charge if you are using debit or credit). Space is limited so ensure that you get your deposit in on Thursday.
• Saturday, January 18 is the Eastern Passage/Cow Bay Lions Club breakfast with monies going to Island View High School. Breakfast is 8-10am. Sausage, Pancakes & Scrambled Eggs. Any students willing to help out at the breakfast would be appreciated.
• A reminder to all improv team members, there is a practice/rehearsal after school today.
• We'll be starting up our badminton club this week. It will run Thursdays after school. Anyone interested in playing can show up to the gym after the bell. Proper gym footwear please.
• If you are in your graduating year, the yearbook needs your grad quotes. Fill in the google form posted on the potential Grad google classroom.
• Pre-orders for yearbooks can be purchased Thursdays and Fridays at lunch during the month of January in the main lobby.
• Mathletes will be meeting in Mr. Hammer’s room on Wednesday's at lunch. Bring your lunch and your friends and try solving some fun math problems together. All are welcome!
• Want to play some badminton? Table Tennis? Pickleball? Come play during lunchtime Monday-Thursday 10:50am-11:20am. No skill needed, just have the attitude to play and have fun!
• Dinner Theatre Writing Team Thursdays at lunch in Room 214.
• Wondering if you have an overdue Library Book? Check your gnspes email account for a notice from the library.
• Creative Club meets Wednesdays at lunch in room 223. Bring your creativity!
• Yearbook meeting Mondays at lunch in 321.
• Wednesday Art Club - last session until second semester.
• The Yearbook committee is looking for all artists at Island View to create the cover for the 2019-2020 Island View yearbook. Send covers to Ms. Griffin in room 321.
• Freezie Friday! Every Friday at lunch purchase a freezie for only $1 in support of students going on the Europe Trip.
• Programming club, room 309 at 2:10 Thursdays.
• Guitar club Tuesdays in the music room at lunch.
• Open Art Studio today at lunch are in 117. This is the final session until second semester.
GUIDANCE AND GRADE 12 INFORMATION
• Any grade 12 student interested in being nominated for the Schulich Scholarship are can now sign up in Guidance. The Schulich Scholarship is an $80,000.00 award for students who are enrolling in a science, technology, engineering or math program at the university level. For more information, please check with guidance; the deadline to sign up is Tuesday, January 21.
• Grade 12 students are reminded to check the upcoming scholarship list posted outside of guidance.
• A reminder to all students they must vacate the building at 2:30 pm unless there is a scheduled school event with a teacher present and/or if a student wishes to consult with a teacher regarding program.
• Students bringing cars to school are asked to drop by the main office and provide us with your name, car make and model and license plate.
• Students are not to park in the gravel HRM lot next door. You are asked to park in the school’s lot next to Seaside Elementary.
• A reminder that eating food in the gym is not permitted. Please eat your food out of the gym before entering.
• The winter weather is here which means messier feet. Please make sure your footwear is clean and dry before entering the gym. Clean footwear only.
• A reminder that we are a scent-aware building so please be respectful with regard to the use of scents.