What Students Need to Know on Opening Day?-September 5, 2019
Dear Parents/Guardians and Students,
We are looking forward to a terrific year at Island View High School during the 2019-20 school years and we want to continue a great tradition of academic, extra-curricular excellence and community building. The IVHS office will be closed from July 2 until August 26. Below are some important dates and events of which you may wish to be aware.
Important Dates & Events
- Wednesday, August 28 is Late Registration at Island View High School (9:00am-3:00pm). This is only necessary for students who are not yet registered.
- Monday, September 2 is Labour Day (no classes)
- Tuesday, September 3 is Organization Day for Staff (no classes)
- Wednesday, September 4 is a Professional Development Day for Staff (no classes)
- Thursday, September 5 is Opening Day for students (Start Time-8:00am)
- Monday, September 9 is Picture Day
- Tuesday, September 10 is Student Registration Day (Student Fees $40.00 Cash or Cheque made out to Island View High School-See IVHS website for more details)
What Students Need to Know on Opening Day?
- Students start classes at 8:00 am and finish classes at 2:10 pm. (Lunch – 10:45 -11:25 am)
- Students will go to four classes per day and classes are 75 minutes per period/block.
- Students new to IVHS will be issued a Chromebook computer for the year.
- Students will receive their first semester schedule with courses and teachers on Thursday, September 5
- Students will be using gender – neutral washrooms located on all three floors.
- Students will be introduced to the inclusive Learning Street environment located on all three floors.
- Students will have support from the Teen Youth Health Centre, Guidance Office, RCMP liaison officer and Main Office.
- Cafeteria Services will be available and will be operated by Chartwells. (Same service as EPEC: Debit card service available, plus cash. Menus will be posted over the summer.)
- Any bussing issues please contact Stock Transportation’s on-Line communications tool, Bus Planner at https://hrce.mybusplanner.ca/ (More information on the IVHS website) – https://ivh.hrsb.ca
- On the first day, students can bring basics for school supplies in terms of a 3 ring binder, pen, pencil, loose-leaf and a combination lock. Teachers will provide more information on what is needed for each course in the first week of classes. No supply lists will be posted on the school website.
- Students will be courteous, respectful and considerate at all times.
- Students will follow a respectful dress code.
- Students will respect the property both inside and outside the building and in the surrounding community.
Please continue to find new information on our school website which will be constantly updated throughout the summer holidays with new information (https://ivh.hrsb.ca/).
Have a pleasant and safe summer holidays